Monday, March 17, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera

The front of the Majestic Theater. Phantom is the longest running musical in Broadway history. This January was the 20 year anniversary.
Another Majestic and Phantom sign. Chris's dressing room is right behind the mask. The Phantom of the Opera is one of Andrew Lloyd Weber's list of successes. It is among such hits as Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.
Yet another view!! The theater was very quiet when I took this picture. It is closed on Sundays.
Chris has eaten with his buddies from the cast here at this Chevy's in the heart of the theater district. This is the closest we can get to good Mexican food up here!!!
Just a cool picture as we were coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel into the theater district.

I think it is about time to devote at least one blog (if not many more!) to the extremely talented man that brought us here to live on the East Coast. I forget that not everyone out there knows every little detail of our lives!!! So without further adieu, this is the story of my husband's, Jordan and Jaron's father's, biggest and most exciting accomplishment.

Chris was working for Day Break Coffee in Lubbock, Texas and doing a few singing gigs on the side, especially around Christmas time. He also sang with me at my bestest friend in the whole wide world, Ashley Nelson's wedding (thanks for the shout out, Ash!) He quit his job a little over a year ago and he decided to go back to school and work on a music degree. Mainly he was wanting to immerse himself back into music, which has always been a love of his. He enjoyed being involved in his music classes, choir and voice lessons, but still had an itch that he couldn't scratch. He has been friends with David Gaschen, also a Monterey and Texas Tech grad, for several years. David has always sung the praises of Chris and his outstanding vocal abilities. He told Chris on many numerous occasions that he could get him a private audition for the role of Ubaldo Piangi in the New York production of The Phantom of the Opera. David said they were hurting for someone good to help fill the role. David knew this only because he spent about 6 years in the New York cast of the Phantom himself! Chris finally consented to letting David help him out. David made a call and set up a private audition for August 13, 2007. Chris flew to New York and showed them his stuff!!!!! They were very impressed, and called back 2 weeks later to offer him the job. He was off to New York City the following Monday!

Chris was thrown head-long into an intense set of rehearsals over the next couple of weeks. Their goal was to get him on stage in as short amount of time as possible. The directors and the cast still remain to be so impressed with how well Chris stepped up to the challenge. He made his Broadway debut in the role of Ubaldo Piangi in less than two weeks!!!! Unfortunately, I was not able to be there for his debut, but fortunately, he did an awesome job as I much expected!! The rest is history!!! The kids and I moved in November, and we have settled very well into the New Jersey life.

I am thankful to God for the wonderful adventure He decided to send us on, and I am thankful also for the amazing talent that He has put in Chris. Chris is a natural on stage. He fits in so well with everyone he works with, and some of them have been performing for 20 plus years. His voice is absolutely amazing. I can promise you, you will never hear another person sing the way Chris does. He is the most versatile singer I have ever known. The role of Ubaldo Piangi is written as the leading tenor at the Paris Opera house. The singing the role requires is quite operatic. But Chris can also step into his cowboy boots or his shoutin' shoes and wow you with a country ballad or a gospel hit. He truly can do anything he wants to do. The sky is the limit, as far as I'm concerned! Thank you, Chris for having the guts to step out and take this leap of faith. Thank you for taking care of Jordan, Jaron and me. You are our hero, and you always will be!!!!! We love you!!

3 comments:

Chris and Amanda said...

Hi Marcy!

This is weird because I found your blog through Ashley Nelson, but I think you are friends with my cousin Kristi Curtis? Anyways I remembered that she said you and your family were moving to New Jersey and that your husband would be performing in Phantom. She was going to send me your contact information but she probably got busy and forgot. We also recently moved to NJ as my husband accepted a pstoral position here. We live in Hawthorne which I think is probably an hour or more from Princeton. We would love to meet some other Texans in the area! Please send me an email and we can get connected. chris.amanda.farrell@gmail.com

Welcome to the Garden State!

Grandad & DeeDee said...

marcy, jordan & jaron (again this morning),
we can't wait to see & hug you each! in april.
claire and i are just rocking this a.m. - she is so sweet.
we can NOT wait to see "phantom" AND REALLY can't wait to see your dad IN PHANTOM - LIVE IN nyc!- WITH YOU'ALL!
luv ya grandad & claire-bear

Tonya said...

Awww. I enjoyed this post. So sweet. I have enjoyed seeing parts of New York and Broadway through your pictures. I am loving this blog! Have I said that already. Ha!