Well, the kids are tucked tightly in bed.............FINALLY! I can't tell you how many times I had to ask Jordan to brush her teeth. A thousand, it feels like! Then we had to read. It always take a while; however, that is one of my favorite times of the day. We snuggle up in Jordan's bed and read about Spiderman, bugs, ballerinas, princesses, Max and Ruby, and Halloween (Jaron can't go to the library without checking out a Halloween book!) Tonight our Bible story was about Moses and the burning bush. It's amazing how a simple children's story can remind me of God's vast love and power. Last night, Jaron wanted me to pray for his Spiderman doll. This doll is almost as tall as Jaron and he sleeps next to Jaron, tucked in as well. After I prayed for Spiderman, Jaron asked me if Jesus would take him AND Spiderman to heaven. I said, "Of course!". And I believe Jesus was touched by that little question!!!! Those kids crack me up!
So why is this the end of a perfect day? Well, it was just a good day! Jordan went to school, Jaron and I went to Walmart. We played with Harry and Ron. Then we picked up Jordan. After that we walked across the parking lot to building 15. (We live in building 16). We went to Jordan's friend's apartment. His name is Subhasish. We found out last week that he lives so close to us. I visited with his mother out on the parking lot and she invited us to come over some time. Jordan hounded me all weekend to call her. I told her I would call on Monday. Monday came and went and I realized that night that I had forgotten to call Dipika. Jordan of course reminded me first thing Tuesday that I was supposed to call. So I did. When we went to their apartment this afternoon, Dipika told me Subhasish was literally counting down the days on the calendar until Jordan would get to come over!!! How sweet is that? He also chose her to help him go to the cafeteria and get the milk for snack time today. And he told her that he had a surprise waiting for her. Guess what is was? A pink Barbie watch!!!!!!!! They had so much fun. We got there at 4:00 and before any of us knew it, it was already after 6:00!!!! Can I be honest? Dipika and her family are unlike any friends we have ever had. They are from India, and she has an extremely thick accent. They have only lived in the United States since 2000, and they even go back to India for long periods of time to visit their family. Their culture is completely different than what I have grown up knowing. But they invited us into their home and made us feel like we were a part of their family. It was such a pleasant, enjoyable experience, and I know we will have many more. I am thankful that God never ceases to surprise us! I am thankful that He knows what is best for us. I am thankful that He reveals Himself to me through little children's stories and new friends that I didn't expect to have. This day may not have been perfect in some people's eyes, but in God's eyes it was perfect because new relationships were forged, and the love of Jesus was shared over a cup of authentic Indian tea!!
March 2018
4 months ago
1 comments:
how wonderful!!! i'm so glad you shared this story!!! it reminds me of a day i had last week with our neighbors from....bulgaria! i love getting to spend time with internationals!! our neighbors are also christians and i'm like you, i was totally surprised by what i was learning from them! like that bulgaria just came out from under communism in 1990 and the crazy thing to me is that my friends were in high school!! they remember what it is like to live without the freedom in a democracy and had to worship differently because of it! anyhow, i pray you have many more sweet moments in the future like the one you had today and that the love of Christ would be your subject! for in a time where there exists so many cultural differences, Christ bridges the gap and enables all cultures to have a connecting point in him so that he gets the glory!
Post a Comment