Well, I feel like I am reaching for things to blog about!! Here we are in the middle of the summer, and that's about all the news there is. I cook lunch when Chris is home during the day, the kids play, watch TV and play some more, we play board games, we tickle and play the Incredible Hulk (guess who's idea that is), and we swim. That's how the summer is supposed to be, right? Jordan goes to VBS next week, so that will give a little posting material, but for now, this is all I have to offer.
I absolutely love taking the kids to our local library to check out library books. I also signed them up for the summer reading program. The theme is "Catch the Reading Bug". They got to pick out a butterfly cutout and post it on the big bulletin board in the library. Each week we fill out their reading log and take it to be stamped. They get to put a bug sticker on their butterfly cutout (Jaron picks out spider stickers every week). Then they get to look through a big box of books and they can take one home. It is so fun to see what they are going to pick!!!!! After all that, we begin our treasure hunt. They wander up and down the many isles of wonderful children's books, pull out anything that looks good, and plop down somewhere to look at their books. Sometimes they sit in the big train and sometimes they just sit down right in the middle of the floor!! It is so precious! Then after they have decided what they want, we go get in line and they use their very own library cards to check out their books. So, in honor of enduring and timeless children's literature, I have made a list of the top 10 books any child's personal library should contain.
10~The Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel
9~A Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles Schultz
8~The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
7~Noah's Ark by Peter Spier
6~The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
5~The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
4~Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
3~The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
2~The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
1~Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
I could offer a page of commentary for each book as to why it belongs in this list, but I will spare you. Instead, I will say these two things: #1 I cry every time I read The Velveteen Rabbit and #2 who wouldn't feel at home in the great green room?
Do you have any books you would add to this list?
March 2018
3 months ago
4 comments:
Being in early childhood myself, I have a few new found favorites that are now necessities in my class of wild 2 & 3 year olds:
10. Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
-Kevin Lewis
9. 10 Little Fish
-Audrey Wood
8. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
-Bill Martin Jr. & John Archambault
7. Please, Puppy, Please
-Spike Lee
6. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
-Laura Numeroff & Felica Bond
5. The Animal Bop
-Jan Ormerond & Lindsey Gardiner
4. The Kissing Hand
-Audrey Penn
3. Brown Bear, Brown Bear
-Eric Carle
2. Bear Snores On
-Karma Wilson
1. The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry & the Big Hungry Bear
-Audrey Wood
We just started getting into Good Night Moon. So sweet!
Thanks for the list. I am going to start ordering them.
Our other favorite is "To Little Tadpoles"
1. Berenstain Bear book series
2. Franklin book series
3. Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
4. Too Many Tamales
5. Let's Read and Find Out Science Book Series
6. Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt
7. The Patchwork Quilt
8. the Sneetches and other sories
9. Horton Hears a Who!
10. The Armadillo from Amarillo
11. The Wall
12. Gregory the Terrible Eater
13. D.W. the Picky Eater
14. Aruthr's Family Vacation
Marce,
One of my favorite books to read with Jaden has always been "Guess How Much I love You?" It is about a little rabbit and his mom. At the end of the story, he says, I love you to the moon." And, she replies, as he is falling asleep, "I love you to the moon AND BACK!"
Jaden spent Spring Break with Grandad and Dee Dee this year, and I sent that book for them to read at bedtime. When Dad brought Jaden home and was telling him goodbye, he was very tearful and he told Jaden, "I love you to the moon." It is a memory I will NEVER forget.
To this day, when we get a card or a text message, or an email from Dad, he always signs it "Lyttm"..... LOVE YOU TO THE MOON.
Post a Comment