The farms are quickly becoming one of our favorite places to visit here in New Jersey. They are EVERYWHERE, and all open to the public. On Tuesday, Jaron and I went to Terhune Orchards for one of their "Read and Explore" programs they offer during the winter. Jaron listened to a story from "Frog and Toad Are Friends" and then he got to explore the farm looking for signs of spring. We saw many, many things beginning to sprout. It gave me some hope that spring is actually going to be here eventually! Then his favorite part was digging for worms. This is something he has been enjoying in our little backyard, so he jumped right in and found some of the biggest worms in the group :) He also discovered the guinea hens. They were wandering around everywhere, and he loved their black and white speckled feathers they left behind. We made it home with pockets full of feathers! And of course we spent time visiting the other animals as well...chickens, roosters,sheep, goats, horses, ducks, geese, a couple of very friendly dogs and a playful kitty. We had a great time...and we must go back!!!Jaron got to plant some seeds for spring. Somehow we ended up planting the seeds that said "Gourmet cat blend" on the package!! Hmmmm, we will see how that turns out.
Jaron and his friend the billy goat...Jaron fed him for the longest time!!
I bought some birdseed at PetSmart the other day when I went to get food for our pigs. This birdseed has attracted some of the most beautiful little birds I have ever seen. We have really enjoyed watching them over the last few days. They are out on our porch all day just pecking away at the feeder and the ground.This is a white-breasted nuthatch.
Black-capped chickadee
I am thinking this is some kind of finch.
I am not sure what kind of bird this is, but it is absolutely gorgeous.
A chickadee and nuthatch sharing the feeder. The chickadees like to get down in it, almost like they are taking a bath!
I tried all day long to get a good picture of our woodpecker friend, and finally around 5:00, he was at the feeder long enough for me to get a picture. Unfortunately I had already shut the screen door, so the pictures seem a little fuzzy.
It's a little hard to see, but he has the most brilliant red head, and beautiful black and white speckled wings. He has been such a joy to watch! When you stop to think about it, isn't it amazing all of the things God made and put in this world? When we look at such wonders, we are actually seeing a part of Him, I think. If he made these birds so beautiful, just imagine how beautiful Jesus will be when we see Him some day...very soon, I hope.
March 2018
4 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment