Saturday, November 15, 2008

American Museum of Natural History



Last Saturday we rode the train into the city with Chris so we could meet up with some friends that have moved to Connecticut. Jordan and Vivian were in the same kindergarten class last year, and she and her parents also lived in our apartment complex. Our initial plan was to meet at the Central Park Zoo. I have heard the zoo is not too big, but still fun and the admission is a steal; however when we came up out of the subway on 5th avenue, it was raining. And it didn't stop raining until later that evening!! So we jumped back on the subway and went to the other side of the park to the American Museum of Natural History. The admission was shockingly reasonable. I was expecting it to be around $60 for the three of us, but it turned out to be $32. Not too bad!!! And I have to tell you, it was worth every penny, and it will be worth it to spend that again to go see all of the stuff we couldn't get to! I have been told you can spend hours in there and not see everything...that is absolutely true :)
This is what we saw when we first walked in! WOW!! It was so big I couldn't get all of it into the picture.

Taking pictures in the museum was somewhat difficult for several reasons...
#1 The lighting was crazy. This was the African animals room, and it had low lighting except for in the display boxes. Every room had different lighting.
#2 I was trying to take many pictures through really thick glass.
#3 I was with three children who don't EVER stand still :)
#4 As Chris is always ready to point out, I am not all that talented with the camera!!

Vivian got glasses, and they are soooo cute! She was excited to show Jordan...now they both have pretty pink glasses.
Here's some weird masks. As we walked through, I kept wondering where they got all this stuff!!

And don't you know we HAD to see the long neck dinosaur!! Jaron insisted!


After our riveting experience at the museum we rode the subway back to 42nd street and met Chris for dinner. (I think we spent more time on the trains than anything else!) It was a very fun day. And we were a little pooped!! I was actually looking forward to the train ride home so we could sit down and not have to do anything :)


4 comments:

Ashley said...

This Science nerd is totally jealous!!!!!!

Hill Country Happenings said...

Marcy, What a surprise to find out about you through Nicole. She found your name from a friend on Facebook and wanted to share it. I have moved to Austin to be close to Nicole and of course my sweet 2 1/2 year old grandbaby, Ashton. I am teaching 1st grade now ~ bilingual and it is interesting in a school of 930 students.

Your family has grown so much and they are so beautiful. So good to hear you're doing well in New York. Can you please fly Nicole, me and family to your husband's show.ha!

I would love to hear from you
my new e-mail is sharon.caviness@del-valle.k12.tx.us

take care,

Renee Caviness

Alissa said...

*WHEW* I love the new background! :) I did have an experience, I don't know if I'd call it "fun" but I did it and I got some great deals!! I found pj's for my neices for $4 and jackets for $8, I also got them some toys for less than $10. It was well worth it! Next year, I will not go alone! :) How are you guys? Freezing yet?

Hill Country Happenings said...

Marcy,

Yes - I will add you on my blog list as well if that is cool! I dont remember whose page I found your info from (facebook is crazy) but I am glad I did. So jealous of all the great things you are getting to experience in the New York area! Yes, we are thrilled to have mom with us in Austin! Take care & keep in touch