Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ground Zero

It's hard to believe, but this a window from one of the planes that crashed into the Twin Towers. Was someone looking out of it in disbelief as tragedy unfolded infront of their eyes?

This is someone's bag, someone who carried it onto the plane, but never off.

A stuffed toy........the inscription under it reads, "This lamb was recovered from the top of the collapse pile. Tattered, torn and looking sadly up from the rubble, he was cradled in the arms of a firefighter. We all wondered, if he could survive, why couldn't the others?" Lynn Tierney, FDNY

Were truer words ever spoken?

The Stars and Stripes.......recovered.

The uniform of a first-responder......he gave his life.

A beam of steal.......steal is supposed to be indestructible.

A portion of a patchwork quilt.....one of many gifts made and donated by people and children around the world.

The cranes take the place of the Twin Towers. Hard to believe we walked right by where they used to be standing, right where thousands of people watched in terror, where even more ran for their lives.

As we walked through the WTC Memorial, I just could not stop thinking about all of the people that lost their lives and those they left behind. How incredibly horrible it must have been. Then, as I came around a corner of the memorial, there they were. The names of the people, human beings, that had lost their lives. Not only were their names listed, but their pictures and sentimental keepsakes were displayed as well. I was overcome with sadness. Sadness for children who would never see their mothers or fathers again, sadness for those who would never see their spouses........sadness for the loss. These were people who loved and lost. I have to have faith that one day, whenever that may be, they will recover what was taken from them.





After recovering from another day in NYC and the visit to Ground Zero, we spent the last day with Candace, Wes, Granny, Jaden and Claire just hanging out and having fun.

Playing outside in their jammies!!


They played and played and played......

We couldn't resist a visit to Terhune Orchards. They all loved it!!



We also decided to celebrate Granny's birthday a few days early since we were all together. It was great!!!!!

Every night the kids would gather outside and chase fireflies. I loved every minute of it, watching them, listening to them. What I would give to have them back again.

So, so, so silly.........and adorable...and wonderful. I miss Granny and the McNutts terribly. They just need to move up here! I hear Pennsylvania has some nice places to live at a reasonable price (hint, hint)!!!!!!

*** This is the last of the Granny and the McNutts posts. We just got back from our visit with the Georgia Bohannons, so those pics are coming soon!!!!***

2 comments:

Vandana said...

Good pictures Marcy...
I am sure you had a good time with family...it was sure good reading your blog as always....

Ali said...

Your WTC pictures are breathtaking. Literally - took my breath away.

I'm so glad you had such a great visit with your family. I can't wait to see the Bohannon pics!