Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 2010


Since the calendar changed from December 2009 to January 2010, we haven't really been doing a whole lot!! And that's perfectly fine with me :) We have actually been taking it super easy so we could get Chris ready to go back to work. He has had epidural shots in his back a couple of times, most recently this week. They do seem to help ease the pain. He had a procedure done yesterday and is already reaping the benefits of it. He is just trying to take good care of himself :)

So we have spent alot of time at home.......and one of my favorite things to do everyday is watch the sweet little birds come eat out of our feeder. Some days they are all over the place! They swoop through the air, they hang out in the trees and they cover the ground. I look forward to seeing them everyday. For some reason they bring serenity to my day, even though they are working really hard to find their next meal.

The week after Christmas we picked up Jordan's new glasses (she broke her other ones being a goober!). This is the only close-up I have of her in them!!! She was playing in Daddy's makeup bag :) We also got her a pair of prescription sunglasses...they are light brown.



We found out at the beginning of the month that some of our closest friends would be moving away by the end of the month. They moved here from India just a couple of months before we did 2 years ago. They were also the first friends we made.

This Monday we had them over one more time, it was fun and very bittersweet. Jordan, Ameera, Jaron, Sarah (Ameer's sister) and Ananya had ALOT of fun playing. Ananya and her parents are the ones leaving us :(

Then today was the very last chance we had to give them a hug!!! We had to tell them goodbye for the very last time (for a while). I just can't hardly imagine what it will be like without them. They are very glad to be going back to India, but we will miss them alot. Ananya, Jordan and Ameera have been like the three musketeers since kindergarten. They can be so silly sometimes!


Fortunately I remembered to grab my camera before we met at the bus stop for the last time! This is me with Vandana (Ananya's mom) and Zenith (Ameera and Sarah's mom). Vandana and her husband have been ideal neighbors. They are the type of people I could call at anytime and they would help me out and vice versa. We had a wonderful time sharing our stories and sharing food!! They will be missed very, very, very much.

So, I have signed up to substitute teach in the Princeton school district. They better pay me well because we have had to shell-out several hundred dollars to get me signed up!!! I had to go get fingerprinted today and it cost me 70 bucks....sheesh! So, I am a little excited to see how these school districts up here are run. From a parent's point of view, it is very different from Lubbock. It will be interesting to see what it's like from an employee's perspective.

While I am waiting for my application to process, I have taken up a new hobby........knitting!!!! My wonderful friend, Tracey, and her friend Wendy have helped me learn the basics. My friend Corrinna has also helped me too, she fixes all my mistakes!

This is what I have so far......not perfect, but not too shabby either! Tracey had these awesome bamboo knitting needles the other day, and they felt so good to hold, so I took my 40% off coupon to Michael's and got some for myself....only had to spend $4! And I LOVE them!!!!!!


I also regularly drool over the things in the Pottery Barn catalogues. They have the coolest stuff!!!! It would be a dream come true if I won a shopping spree at Pottery Barn! So the other day I saw these adorable owl pillows in the kid's catalogue. I thought, "I bet I could make some of those." So I went to Joanne Fabrics, bought me some super cheap remnants and made a pillow. I gave this one to Vandana as part of her going away gift.


I am making this one for Jordan....she picked out this fabric remnant. It was ONE dollar!! I am not done, obviously, but it looks like it will be pretty cute.

So what have you been doing this month??

3 comments:

Chris and Amanda said...

I love the owl pillows...you are very talented :) And I am glad to see the actually knitting of the scarf - way to go! I must say that seeing you at the bus stop all bundled up was a flash back to NJ reality...I have not put a coat on in like 2 weeks...crazy! Ask me again tomorrow when the high is in the 30s and it will be a different story. Miss you!

Tonya said...

Oh my goodness! You are getting to be the most crafty person.....or maybe you have been already and I just didn't know it! Anyways, I love the owl pillows!!! If we were pregnant with a girl I was going to do a little birdy nursery. Now,that has changed. :) But those owls are becoming very popular. Good job on the knitting. I wish I could learn how to sew. That is one hobby I want someone to teach me. I'm just not sure I have the patience for it.

Oh! When you get your knitting down, you should open up an Etsy store and sale some items along with those CUTE owls!

Love you guys!

Ashley said...

You are SO stinking talented. It is unbelievable.

I am sorry your friends are leaving. I can't imagine how important friends are when family is SO far away.

Can't wait to hear stories from you life as a sub. Will you ever teach elem music there?