The Friday of our trip to Lubbock was a great day. You saw the pictures of all of Chris's family in the previous post.....that's who we spent our morning and afternoon with. That evening, we got to spend some time with some more special people.
First let me say this: I love my sister no matter what, and she very graciously opened her home to my best friend of all time AND cooked for all of us. Secondly, I got to see someone that I have always considered, and will forever consider, a part of my family.
Ashley Drue Core Nelson.......we met in Kindergarten (she was a.m. and I was p.m.), became buddies in Mrs. Prater's first grade class, and forged a solid BFF relationship in Mrs. Rigdon's third grade class. That relationship is still going strong even after attending separate high schools and colleges, getting married and having kids, and us moving half way across the country. I could not wish for a better best friend. Ever.
Since both of our last names began with a "C", we were always on the class roles like this: Marcy Clayton, Kenny Cole, Michael Cook and Ashely Core. It was that way the entire time at Parsons Elem, and probably even at Evans JH, too. In fact, I have to credit my success as a musician to Ashley.
In the 6th grade, we had a fabulous year of choir with Mrs. Linda Sudduth, and when it came time to do our choice cards for 7th grade, I was in a pickle. I was positive I wanted to sign up for choir, not band like everyone else was. I was the only one who was signing up for choir....which made me feel like a looser. BUT, but, but.....my Ashely, she signed up for choir too, and that made my decision complete. Ashely was in choir, I was in choir and that was all that mattered. If Ashely hadn't signed up for choir, I think I might have given into the peer pressure and done band or orchestra...therefore changing the entire course of my collegiate and professional career. Ashley always bragged on me for the beautiful voice I had, but she gave me courage and inspiration.
I try to pray faithfully for my kids every day. I will admit, sometimes I fail miserably. But one thing I always pray for is that they will be blessed with a friend in their lives like I was blessed with Ashely. Not only was Ashley a blessing, but so was her family. There was never a time that I was influenced negatively by any person in her household. They are all loving, Christian people who took care of me like I was one of their own. Mr. and Mrs. Core and Alyssa are some of the most precious people I have ever known, and I long for a similar relationship for my own children.
The kids and I were so blessed to spend time with Ashely, her husband Cody and their kids Carley and Corey. I cannot believe that we are all grown-up now, with kids of our own. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ashley and I will be friends forever, and what's even better, we will spend eternity together.
Ashley, thank you for being such a good friend. There have been plenty of times that I have failed you, but you still love me anyway. I miss you terribly, and think of you often. Especially all the good laughs we have had together!! Long live Evans Show Choir!!!!!!!!!Claire wanted an American Girl doll like Jordan. Candace bought her one at Michael's and she toted that doll around constantly!
Jordan and Carley. Carley was a little shy at first, but Jordan is does such a good job of making people feel welcomed and taking little girls under her wing. Carley kept telling Ashely, "I want to play with her (Jordan)." It just thrills my heart that I have a picture of our daughters together. Ashely and I talked about these kinds of things constantly as kids!!! What a joy to see it fulfilled!
Those kids jumped and jumped and jumped......
Taco time!!!!!
Ashley, Cody, Corey and some awful person that I don't know.....oops, I mean Wes!Claire and Carley. So cute!
Still hugging!
I want to print this and frame it. All of the kids, and SUCH a good pic.
Jumping with Corey.....
More tacos......
Sweet picture of my BFF with my kids :)
I think we all agree that we feel like sisters :)
Me, Cody and Ashley. Cody is a firefighter and a dream come true for Ashely....he is even better than Kirk Cameron, huh Ash?!?!?!
Another good one.
Oh, I love this one too!!!!!!!!!
March 2018
4 months ago
2 comments:
I love that you guys have each other even as far away as you are! You are both wonderful girls! Allison Cranford and I have been planning to be the Golden Girls since we were 12 years old at Matthews and she is actually headed here this weekend with kiddos in tow and I cant wait - 20 years of having a wonderful best friend is pretty special! We are all lucky!
(Allie and I were the other 2 C's that always sat with yall in Junior high)! funny!
I just read this post! SO VERY SWEET! I love you and I am thankful for you too! Can't imagine a better friend to go through life with. Love you!
Post a Comment